Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Soap & Glory Girl-O-Whirl Review

I have only just recently began to broaden my makeup horizons. I still remember the first time I bought my first mascara over $10; it was the summer of 2012 and my boyfriend had taken me to Mykonos, Greece as a present and on our way back I stopped by the beauty Duty Free area and just stood there and stared at Lancôme's Hypnôse Doll Eyes mascara. Approximately 3 minutes after my purchase, I curled my lashes and BAM! Fell in love.

Before that I was familiar only with higher end eye shadows, I had a tiny collection of MAC, a palette by Too Faced and a couple of Estée Lauder products, and a lot of expensive ass skin care products from all over the world (I'm a fan/junkie of Korean skin care products) .

Now that I've been living in the UK for over 3 years I have gotten into makeup a lot more. There is far much more to pick from, high street brands are known for being just as good as the high end cosmetics.

I've come to notice Soap & Glory gaining popularity in America lately, I've seen it ridiculously over-priced at Sephora.com but I don't blame Sephora of course, it's like trying to get San Francisco's Benefit products over here (I had a mini heart attack when I saw their boi-ing concealer at nearly £18 which is $30). My first Soap & Glory makeup purchase was the One Heck of a Blot face powder and I have been hooked ever since.

Over Christmas time Boots had several beauty and spa gift ideas that I was tempted on getting for myself... selfish you say? Not at all teehee! I merely was thinking about reviewing all of them to help my readers/followers decide what to purchase and what to avoid. Good save!

Anyway! I went to Boots today for a quick browse and stumbled upon the leftovers at 70% off! I went straight for Soap & Glory's "Girl-O-Whirl" set because I wanted to try a little more than just their face powder which I already loved. I had already gotten curious about their Sexy Mother Pucker glosses and their brow shaper/highlighter.

So here it is:


 


And what it contains:

Here is the package description of what it contains.

The mascara comes in black, the brush isn't anything extraordinary but it's good for and everyday use mascara. I don't think it's water proof (doesn't state otherwise anywhere on the packaging.
This one has to be my fav. The Sexy Mother Pucker Gloss Stick in Nudist, which is a beautiful sheer pink gloss. Smells of sweets and goes on like butter. It feels great on the lips, they feel moisturized and girly :) 

The eye shadows aren't really worth talking about. Top left very light beige color is actually very well pigmented
and serves well as a base color to prime your lid. The rest of the colors were very sheer
and didn't build up very well aside from the matte grey at the bottom right.
And as you can see the eye shadow brush was an embarrassment, almost as terrible as my grammar. 

The Solar Powder multi-shade bronzer was actually quite lovely,
a little on the shimmery side for my liking but I would still use it.

And this is the Glow All Out Luminizing Face Powder which to me looked more like an adorable peachy blusher. It too is a tad shimmery and sadly for me (acne scarring and all that shit) I can't really use shimmery things on my face without looking like a bruised peach when using too much shimmer.


Also it comes with 6 panned lipsticks which are identical to the previous year's lipstick gift set Boots offered.
I'll upload a picture tomorrow with both side to side.
Sounds great right? WRONG!!! There is one unforgivable flaw with this gift set.
THE PACKAGING! It's driving me insane. It comes in a large over-sized zip bag which would be great if the mount where they glued all the eye shadows and lipsticks on wasn't made of the flimsiest plastic on earth. I was terrified to take out the mascara and gloss in fear of breaking all the eye shadows and face powders!

I honestly think this gift set would have been worth those £40 YES 40 pounds if the packaging would've had a bit more invested into it. Like Tarte's or Benefit's cardboard packaging, it's earth friendly and "hellava" lot more sturdy!

I know, I seem far too upset for something so petty BUT in my defense; our house hasn't had heating for 6 days now and cheap ass plastic isn't worth 40 quid! 

I'm out, I need to get a hold of this damn plumber and kill him. It's Winter! In England! Dafuq! 

No comments:

Post a Comment